Get started with your Osstell Beacon
Step 1 – Charge your Osstell Beacon
Start off by charging your new instrument for 3 hours
Step 2 – Register your Beacon on Osstell Connect and get rewarded
When you register your Beacon to OsstellConnect you’ll get 2 boxes of free SmartPegs.
Set up your instrument – step by step
In this short video we will guide you, step-by-step, how to set up and register your Osstell Beacon. Get started in 5 minutes and get 2 boxes of SmartPegs for free.Register here
Measure implant stability with Osstell Beacon
The Osstell Beacon determines implant stability in a matter of seconds. In this video, we show you how to measure. For more step-by-step guides, please visit the Help section in your OsstellConnect account.Go to OsstellConnect
Prior to use on a patient, place a barrier sleeve over the Osstell Beacon. The barrier sleeve helps prevent cross-contamination and helps keep dental composite material from adhering to the surface of the instrument tip and body, and discoloration and degradations from cleaning solutions.
Recommended barrier sleeves:
Omnia: Non sterile cover, Art No 30.Z0600.00, Sterile cover Art No 22.Z0600.00
PremiumPlus: 123, Small short 123, Small.
TIDIshield, Art no: 21021, Art no: 20987.
The Osstell ISQ Scale
ISQ, or Implant Stability Quotient, is a scale from 1 to 100 and is a measure of the stability of an implant. The ISQ scale has a non-linear correlation to micro mobility. With more than 1200 scientific references, we now know that high stability means >70 ISQ, between 60-69 is medium stability and < 60 ISQ is considered as low stability.The Osstell ISQ Scale
You can have your Osstell Beacon online connected to Osstell Connect for data collection, but it is not a requirement. The Osstell Connect is an online tool for statistical analysis and valuable insights based on your data, with benchmarks against the entire Osstell Connect database. Before you can start using data connection to Osstell Connect you have to register your Osstell Beacon. The serial number can be found on the back of the instrument. For registration assistance and features of data connection to Osstell Connect, please visit osstellconnect.com/beacon
Before each use, moisten a gauze or soft cloth with an acceptable (see list below) surface disinfectant and wipe the whole Osstell Beacon instrument. Note! Do not autoclave the Osstell Beacon instrument. Routinely check the surface of the instrument tip and overall surface for possible cracks and resins.
o Isopropyl alcohol
o Ethyl alcohol-based cleaners
Do not use:
o Strong alkali detergent of any type, including hand soaps and dish soaps Bleach based cleaners
o Hydrogen Peroxide based cleaners Abrasive Cleansers
o Acetone of hydrocarbon based cleaners MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone)
o Birex Gluteraldehyde
o Quaternary Ammonium Chloride salt-based cleaners
The Osstell Beacon is delivered from factory in a “transport” mode, where the built-in motion sensor is deactivated. To deactivate the transport mode and start charging, connect the small USB connector of the Osstell USB cable to wide end of the instrument. Connect the large USB connector to a standard USB outlet of a PC, laptop or charger.
Although it is possible to use the Osstell Beacon directly, depending on the status of the built-in rechargeable battery, it is recommended to charge the battery for at least 3 hours before using the Osstell Beacon instrument.
The Osstell Beacon is activated by a built-in motion sensor. As soon as the motion sensor detects movement, the Osstell Beacon will start-up and shortly show battery status and then be ready for measurement in the BL (Buccal – Lingual) direction, which is indicated in the upper display.
The Osstell Beacon will start to measure, indicated by an audible sound, when near an Osstell SmartPeg or Test peg due to a built-in magnetic detector that senses the magnet on the top of the Osstell SmartPeg/TestPeg. Measured data will be shown in the upper display combined with a colored light indication below the tip.
The red, yellow and green color indicates if the measured ISQ value corresponds to a low, medium or high implant stability according to the ISQ scale guidance, see www.osstell.com/clinical-guidelines/ for more information.
After 60 seconds of no motion, the Osstell Beacon will turn off automatically.
1. Activate the Osstell Beacon by picking it up. The instrument will start-up and after showing the battery status, the instrument will be ready for measurement in the BL (Buccal – Lingual) direction, which is prompted in the upper display as well as optimal angle towards the Smartpeg.
2. Place a barrier sleeve over the Osstell beacon instrument.
3. Place the SmartPeg into the SmartPeg Mount. The SmartPeg is magnetic, and the SmartPeg Mount will hold the SmartPeg. See fig 2. Attach the SmartPeg to the implant or abutment by screwing the SmartPeg Mount using finger force of approximately 4-6 Ncm. Do not over-tighten, to avoid damaging the SmartPeg threads.
4. Hold the instrument tip close (2-4mm) to the top of the SmartPeg without touching it. Sometimes, you will need to go as close as 1 mm. An audible sound indicates when measurement has started, and measured data will be shown in the upper display combined with a colored light indication below the tip.
5. Bring the instrument out of the mouth to clearly read the ISQ value and the colored indication. The measured ISQ values will be displayed in the upper display for a couple of seconds and then switch to be ready for measurement in mesial-distal direction.
6. Repeat step 4 and the sequence starts over and the Osstell Beacon is ready for measurement in the BL (Buccal- Lingual) direction again.
7. When all measurements are performed, remove the SmartPeg by using the SmartPeg Mount. The instrument is automatically turned off after 60 seconds of inactivity.
Charge the Beacon for at least 30 min in room temperature, then try again. If the error remains, try resetting the device by:
1. Identify the Beacon reset pin on the picture below.
2. With a paper clip, do a gentle press for 1 second on the reset button (Note! You may have to tilt the pin a little downwards).
If you see a “PadLock” symbol in the upper display, press one more time on the reset button.
If the Beacon still doesn’t start or the display is showing a wrench and a manual, then please contact your local sales representative or distributor or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Possible explanations include:
Re-Used SmartPeg: The SmartPegs are disposable and should only be used for one or multiple measurement at one treatment session, for a single patient only. Repeated re-use may result in false readings due to wear and tear of the soft aluminum SmartPeg threads.
Wrong SmartPeg type selected for the implant: See SmartPeg reference list, osstell.com/smartpegguide
Bone or soft tissue in between SmartPeg and Implant: Make sure to clean the Implant prosthetic connection before attaching the SmartPeg.
Electromagnetic interference: Remove the source of electromagnetic interference.
Probe is held too far away from the SmartPeg: Hold the probe 2-4 mm away from the SmartPeg.
Do you need help?
Fill in the form below and we will be in otuch shortly. Talk to you soon!