Dr. Raquel Zita Gomes DMD, PG, MSc, PhD, Oral Surgeon, University Prof. will present and discuss the loading protocols (delayed, early, immediate) in modern oral implantology, and create guidelines for daily decisions in this webinar. We sat down together with Dr. Zita Gomes prior to her presentation.
There are lots of factors that impact loading protocol decisions. What are the most important ones to take into account?
Dr. Raquel Zita Gomes: The most important factors to take in consideration when choosing the loading protocols in oral implantology are: the torque and Osstell ISQ (Implant Stability Quotient ) at implant placement, the bone density of the implantation site, the medical status of the patient and the complexity of the case.
From your experience, with which decision-making process struggle dental professionals the most and how do you intend to help them with your presentation?
Dr. Raquel Zita Gomes: Many dental professionals have doubts of what the minimal ideal conditions for immediate, early or delay loading in single and multiple implant rehabilitations are. I will give objective guidelines and protocols to take the right decisions to have in consideration, not only the scientific background but also my 18 years clinic experience in implantology.
What are the three main learning objectives for the participants who will be watching your webinar?
Dr. Raquel Zita Gomes:
- Understand which factors influence the decision of the loading protocols.
- Having objective guidelines to choose the different loading protocols for single and multiple splinted implants and learning the different guidelines for two stage, one stage and immediate loading approaches.
- To understand how guidelines for loading protocols can help us to obtain better clinical results, namely in advanced surgical techniques.
Is there anything else you would like to share with our readers?
Dr. Raquel Zita Gomes: Nowadays with the new technologies and techniques we have objective measures to take the right decisions when deciding the loading protocols. The Osstell ISQ is the only measure that allows the follow up of the healing of the implants (we can measure it several times in different time frames) in a very objective and quantitative way. We can measure torque only once (at implant placement), giving the professional a limited information.
Thank you Dr Zita Gomes for your time!
Sign up to Dr. Raquel Zita Gomes’ webinar for free by clicking here.
About Dr Raquel Zita Gomes
- Dental Medical Doctor by the Faculty of Dental Medicine of the University of Oporto (FMDUP) (1996-2002)
- Post-graduation in Implantology in Sweden (Bränemark Institute in Gothenburg and Maxilla-Facial Surgery Ward at Västerås Hospital) (2002)
- Specialization Course in Implantology by FMDUP (2003-2006)
- Master’s Degree in Implantology by FMDUP (MsC) (2006- 2007)
- PhD degree in the field or Oral Surgery /Implantology at FMDUP (2013-2018)
- Oral surgeon (specialist in oral surgery) by the Portuguese Dental Medical Association (OMD)
- Opinion leader of Bredent Medical Group, MINEC (Megagen International Network of Education and Clinical Research) active member, opinion leader of Bredent Portugal, KOL of Osteobiol Biomaterials, KOL of T-scan (digital assessment of occlusion)
IFZI (Prof.Lang) academy auxiliar instructor, Active member of BBB (Bone, Biomaterials and Beyond) Academy, ambassador of the Clean Implant Foundation.
- Expert on Dental XP, Oralsurgerytube, MINEC and Dentinaltubules educational platforms
- Invited External Teacher at Master and Specialization Course of Oral Rehabilitation (CESPU University, Portugal). Invited lecturer at Upenn (University of Pennsylvania, USA)
- Private practices in Portugal dedicated exclusively to Implantology, advanced oral surgery and rehabilitation.
- Mentor of professional group Follow the RED (dedicated to oral surgery), International leader of the “Divas in Dentistry Project”
- Reviewer of Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research journal and BMC Oral Health. Editorial board of International Growth Factor and Stem Cells in Dentistry journal.
- Author and co-author of several articles and chapters of books in the Dentistry Field.
- Speaker in more than 25 countries.